Monday, November 5, 2012

In Which My Son Wants Me To Read His Journal

I am so confused by my son.  When I was a kid, I always kept a journal, and it was of utmost importance to me that my mother never read it.  This was so important to me, in fact, that I went to all kinds of trouble to ensure she never read it.  I hid it in my closet, and she found it.  I hid it in a drawer underneath a bunch of other stuff, and she found it.  She would say little things to let me know, without coming right out and saying it, that she had read it, and that she KNEW things.  Things she could not possibly have known, had she not read my journal.  More than once, she said a little something like that, just to let me know, and I grew so afraid and freaked out that she had read my private thoughts, I remember the hairs ACTUALLY standing up on the back of my neck.  I started keeping my journal locked in my locker at school, but then a friend who knew my locker combination went in there and read it.  Eventually I learned that if you really want to keep your private thoughts private, don't write them down.  Anywhere. 
I swore to myself that when I had children, I wouldn't search their rooms for their journals, and even if they had one and left it right out where I could see it, I would not read it. 
But then there's my almost 9-yr old son, Dalton.  He WANTS me to read his journal.  He ASKS me to read it.  His grandparents just sent him a journal with a lock and key on it, so that no one could get in, and he wrote in it, and then promptly brought it before our entire family and had his father, sister and I GUESS what he had written in it, and then told us when we were right or wrong.  I love that he's so open and feels that he can share anything with us.  But then again, sometimes I am absolutely flabbergasted by the things that I read, and the fact that he doesn't have the good sense to know he ought to be at least a little embarrassed.  He writes about a girl at school whom he has nicknamed "Twinklepuff," and how he thinks she likes him because she calls him "MR. Twinklepuff."  He writes about how he rode his bike outside until he "definetely had hypothermia."  He writes all kinds of crazy, funny, sometimes intensely personal things, some of which I won't even quote because even though HE's not embarrassed for everyone to know them, I AM!  I don't know, maybe he's just like me.  I blog about my most embarrassing moments, maybe he's just doing the same thing.  Come to think of it, one day Dalton will discover blogging, and if he hasn't learned to keep a little to himself, one day the whole world will be able to read about whatever rotten and horrible he did that day.  Better yet, one day he'll probably be blogging about ME, old and frail and in a nursing home, and it'll be stuff like "Today, my mom peed all over herself again..."  *Sigh.* 

6 comments:

  1. Well Dalton got his love of writing from you. And yes some day he will blog about you. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoo boy. I hope he learns a teensy bit of restraint before he starts writing for the public eye!!

    I never understood his confessional spirit, but I certainly enjoy seeing what he puts on paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's not afraid or embarrassed about his feelings and things that happen to him, that's a remarkable quality. Ever stop to think that maybe it's the way you treat him that makes him want to share his thoughts and actions with you? Might not be such a bad thing after all!
    If he ever does start up a blog, I'll definitely look forward to reading it. :)
    I was never allowed to keep a diary, even though I was fascinated by them. We were never allowed to think that we could hold so much power over our personal thoughts. One day a friend gave me one. I wrote in it once. Then one day when I was putting my parents laundry away, I found it in their dresser. I was devastated that they took it like that. So I threw it away and kept things to myself after that.
    I always swore that I would never read my kids diaries without permission...and if I ever did, I would make sure they never knew! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really believe that kids need SOME feelings of privacy and respect for their personhood.
      I might just ask Dalton if he'd like to start a blog, I think a LOT of people would enjoy reading it! I know I would. I think!

      Delete
  4. I never read Doug's journal - but his sister did. It was when he was in high school. She had come over to pick something up and came into the living room and said - "by the way, I just read Doug's journal and you don't have anything to worry about". I thought that was so funny. She was a little protective of Doug because he was so open and outgoing. He and David confided to each other one time that their older sisters had pretty much scared them about showing too much interest in "one particular" girl. That if they danced with one sister at a party, they had better dance with several other sisters of different ages or that sister (and her mother) would be planning a wedding. lolololol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny...That explains Doug's crazy dancing at parties...lol

      Delete